OUR COMMITMENT TO PARENTS OF TEENS
As a team of people who are in ministry for and with your 6-12 grade students, we have also made a threefold commitment to CARE for youth parents. We commit to communicate with you, appreciate you, and provide you with resources! Communication is a two-way street. We’ll communicate most regularly in these ways; it’s important to you also utilize these forms of communication.
- We will have information at the information table & the hallway bulletin board that is current and helpful.
- We will send weekly email updates with news and notes of what’s happening in our ministry to parents and students. If you are not receiving our emails, please send your current email information to Ama Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will send regular social media updates - Facebook: Poiema Youth Ministry Instagram: poiemalbk Twitter: poiemalbk
- We will regularly update our website information (www.fumc.com/youth)
- We will send you periodic text messages with announcements/highlights/updates as well as time changes/cancellation notifications
- We know that you may not hear “thank you” from the mouths of our teens, so we want to say it on their behalf! THANK YOU!!! We know that being a parent of a teenager is a challenging and difficult 24/7/52 job and we want you to know that we appreciate you!
- We understand that YOU are your student’s parents and WE are not! We know that what happens at home is more important than what happens at church. Therefore, we want to be your cheerleader because we understand that parenting teenagers is a difficult task. If your youth comes to talk to us about something, you can trust that we will not speak negatively about you.
We will do everything we can to provide you with resources to navigate the ever-changing waters of par enting your teen. Our website and email communications will have helpful links to resources ranging from how to transmit faith to your teen to understanding youth culture to warning signs of drug abuse or suicide.
We will provide parent specific programming at the church covering topics that are specific to parenting a teenager Parent Resources:
Axis.org - Culure Translator and Parent Guides
Feeding the Mouth that Bites You by Kenneth Wilgus, Ph.D.
Parenting Beyond Your Capacity by Reggie Joiner
The Be With Factor by Bo Boshers
Bringing up Boys by James Dobson
Every Young Man's Battle by Stephen Arterburn
Every Young Woman's Battle by Shannon Ethridge and Stephen Arterburn
5 Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter by Vicki Courtney
The 5 Love Languages of Teenagers by Gary Chapman
And Then I Had Teenagers by Susan Alexander Yates
Boundaries with Teens by John Townsend
Hurt by Chap Clark
For Parents Only by Shaunti Feldhahn
Teen Stages by Ken & Elizabeth Mellor
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Being involved is one of the most important things you can do in your child's walk. One way to get involved is to volunteer in the Youth Ministry. Volunteers are what make our ministry thrive, and we need your help. This will also give you an opportunity to set an example for your student as to what it means to serve others with your time and resources, just as Christ did. Please consider different ways that you can serve the ministry to further the kingdom. We very much appreciate your consideration to do so!